Construction inside our future Education Annex is almost completed, thanks to the indispensible support of the Robert David Lion Gardiner Foundation. The new Annex will be retro-fitted within the 1915 Lincoln Market building, and will feature an introductory exhibition conveying the amazing stories of the Revolutionary-War era in Oyster Bay and Raynham Hall.
Three elements we are especially proud of are a touch-screen “Culper Spy Kiosk” created with the help of the Gerry Charitable Trust, and two eye-popping dioramas, one of the Battle of Long Island and the other of Oyster Bay in 1779, made by local diorama wizard Richard Schuster.
By moving our offices to the second floor of the Annex, we are liberating spaces in the historic museum building to be re-interpreted as the Irish servants’ spaces they once were, and the third floor of the Annex will house collections.
The last phase of construction will see the restoration of the roof and siding of the building, as managed by the Town of Oyster Bay with funds from the Dormitory Authority of New York State granted by Assemblyman Charles Lavine and retired State Senator Carl Marcellino. A museum gift shop will grace the entry area of the Annex. The façade of the Annex was restored in 2015 with a wonderful grant from the Oyster Bay Main Street Association, which also generously funded the restoration of the façade of the historic museum building.